Anaphe, with a total area of 38.35 sq.km, is located in the centre of the Aegean Sea and is the southeasternmost island of the Cyclades. Its terrain consists of large mountain masses, which form lush green valleys, while its beaches are sandy. To its east are scattered smaller islands, such as Megalo and Mikro Ftena, Pahia or Anafopoulo and Makria.
Mythology
The name of the island Anaphe has remained unchanged since antiquity. According to legend, it is associated with the Voyage of the Argonaut: on a pitch-black night in bad weather Jason appealed to the god Apollo to save the sea-stricken Argonauts …. and the island appeared (from the verb anafainein) in the light cast by the god Apollo.
There, after they reached dry land, they founded in honour of their saviour god, Apollo, a sanctuary. They gave it the name of Aiglitis after his shining light that saved them. The god Apollo was worshipped there as Anapheus or Aiglitis. Also, according to mythology, Anaphe was first inhabited by the Phoenicians, with Membliarus as their leader. That is why it also received the sobriquets Membliarus or Vliarus.
History
Ancient Anaphe was mainly under Laconian hegemony, but at one point it was also a member of the Athenian League, to which it paid a tax of 1000 drachmas. The ancient city founded on the hill of ‘Kastellion’ was probably colonized by Dorians in the 8th century BC; it is associated with the Doric tribe of the Aegids or Telesikratides. (photo 1)
From 300 BC, it minted coins, which on the obverse depict the head of the god Apollo Aiglitis and on the reverse a vase (krater) with a bee that refers to the production of Anafian honey. The city, which flourished during the Roman period, was located on the top of the hill and was walled. On the south-east slope of the hill there were cemeteries with above-ground structures, but also many cave tombs, where stairs led down to the burial chambers. Following the funerary practice prevalent during ancient times, the burial complexes or tombs were ornamented with marble statues and busts, as well as with funerary epitaphs that either noted the name of the deceased, or recorded inscribed epigrams in his honour (photos 2-3).
A marble sarcophagus, located near the church of Panagia in Dokari, has exquisite decoration on its sides with relief depictions of cupids, griffins, sirens, as well as Bellerophon and Pegasus (photos 4-6).
On the south side of the island, in the area of Katalimatsa bay, is the port of the ancient and Roman city (photos 14-16).
The sacred road began southeast of the city and ended at the location where now is the Monastery of Panagia Kalamiotissa and where the temple of Apollo Aiglitis once was (photos 7-9). Along the length of the road are altars and monuments.
The sanctuary of Apollo Aiglitis was an impressive one with a large and high enclosure wall. In its centre was the ancient temple on whose foundations the Christian church was built. Around the sanctuary there are ruins and architectural members, evidence of the existence of other places and structures.
The defence of the ancient city was important, and also took in the islets around Anaphe. This is evidenced by the strong fortifications of the ancient city and the network of ancient towers, of which we know at least two: one at Pyrgi and one on the islet of Pacheia. Evidence of ancient habitation and human activity is also visible on the islet of Megala Ftena.
There is little evidence of the early Christian period on the island. The settlement in the Katalimatsa area continued to be inhabited until the 6th century, as evidenced by the scattered sculptures and architectural elements, which can be dated to that century, as well as architectural remains of buildings, probably also of a basilica (photo 16).
Our current knowledge of the period from the 6th century until 1207, when Anaphe was ceded to the Venetians, is negligible. However, a lead-bull from the 8th century, which mentions the collection of taxes from Melos, Ios, Anaphe, Andros and Amorgos by a royal kommerkiarios, provides indirect information on the Byzantine state services and commercial activity on the island.
The initial fortification and habitation of the hill, on which the settlement of Chora today is spread, dates to the first period of Venetian rule, during the Foscolo era (13th century). At the beginning of the 15th century, to protect the island from Turkish attacks, new fortifications were built and the castle of Anaphe was repaired (photo 17). The remains of another castle on the towering rock of Mount Kalamos, around the Monastery of Ano Kalamiotissa (photo 18), date back to the same period or perhaps even a little earlier.
At the beginning of the 14th century, the Byzantine church of Agios Antonios was also built. It is adorned with frescoes, which constitute the only surviving example of monumental painting on the island (photo 19).
In 1537, Anaphe was occupied by the Turks. Travellers visiting the island during the Turkish occupation, mention the settlement of Chora and the two monasteries with almost the same dedication and name – Kato Panagia Kalamiotissa on the ruins of the temple of Apollo Aiglitis (photo 20) and Ano Panagia Kalamiotissa on the top of Mount Kalamos (photos 21-22).
In the post-Byzantine period, churches were located in the countryside (the church of Agios Mamas (photo 23) and the Virgin Mary at Dokari on the slope of the Kastelli hill (photo 24) and in Chora. These are decorated internally with wooden iconostases, carved and painted (photo 25).
Our knowledge of Anaphe is complemented by the surface collection, carried out by the former 21st EPKA and Dr. Ch. Televantou, the finds of which are exhibited in a small room of the Anaphe Archaeological Collection.