The Church of the Taxiarchis in the village of Ypsilos, Andros

The parish church in the village of Ypsilos is dedicated to the Taxiarchis. The original church is a two-columned cruciform church with a dome, without a narthex; it dates to the Middle Byzantine period. In 1885, according to an inscription outside the entrance, an addition to the west lengthened the church and transformed it into a three-aisled basilica with a dome. The porch was covered with cross vaults. On the southeast side of the courtyard there is a tower-shaped staircase built in 1893 as an inscription states. The walls of the Byzantine building are built with brick-enclosed stonework, while those of the newer one are of lime-washed stonework. Today, the interior and exterior are covered over with lime plaster.

Bibliography: Bouras Ch. – Bouras L., Η Ελλαδική ναοδομία κατά τον 12ο αιώνα, Athens 2002, 74-75. Orlandos A., Βυζαντινά Μνημεία της Άνδρου, A.B.M.E. 8, Athens 1955-56, 46-49. Pallis G., Η γλυπτική της μέσης βυζαντινής περιόδου στην Άνδρο (9ος – 12ος): μία αποτίμηση, Νήσος Άνδρος, Παράδοση, Πολιτισμός Ανάπτυξη, Κοινωνία, 3, Athens 2009, 46-47.